A delegation from Las Cruces’ Sister City in Lerdo, Mexico will visit southern New Mexico July 13 - 17, to meet with Las Cruces city officials and the Sister Cities Las Cruces organization, to renew the Lerdo/Las Cruces Sister Cities International agreement.
The Lerdo/Las Cruces relationship began in 1982, seven years before the actual affiliation with Sister Cities International in 1989. The initial reciprocal agreement between the two city governments was followed almost immediately by an educational exchange between Doña Ana Community College (DACC) and the Centro deBachilleratio Technológico Industrial y de Servicios Numbero 4 (CBTis4) of Lerdo, Durango, Mexico.
Representatives from both communities will sign a renewal of the agreement to commemorate 30 years at the start of the July 15 City Council meeting at City Hall, 700 N. Main St. The meeting begins at 1 p.m. and the signing will take place immediately thereafter.
According to the organization’s website, “Founded by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1956, Sister Cities International is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit which serves as the national membership organization for individual sister cities, counties, and states across the United States.This network unites tens of thousands of citizen diplomats and volunteers in nearly 500 member communities with over 2,000 partnerships in more than 140 countries.” The purpose of the Sister Cities International is to promote understanding, friendship and peace between cities of the United States and cities in other countries all over the world.
The following is the list of city government officials from Lerdo:
· Mayor Ing. María Luisa González Achem
· C.P. Mónica Elsa Moreno Santiago – Private Secretary
· C.P. Ricardo Torres Rodrigues and his wife Yolanda Sánchez Vargas – City Council
· Josabed Anchondo – Social Communication Office
· Rolando Estrada Córdova – 9th City Council (President of the education Commission)
· Isabel Macias Sifuentes – 1st City Council (Social Development and Public Works
· Rosario Méndez Rojas – 3rd City Council (President of Seniors Commission)
· Angélica Machado – 8th City Council (President of Health and Economic
Sister Cities Committee Members from Lerdo:
· Dr. Jose Ernesto Frias – President
· Blanca Frias – Delegate
· Andrea Frias – Delegate
· Blanca Bena – Delegate
· Jesucita Rey Casale – Delegate
· Lorena Sandoval - Delegate
During their visit to southern New Mexico, the delegates will visit the City of Las Cruces museums, the Branigan Cultural Center, the new City Hall, the La Entrada Monument and the new Las Cruces Plaza.